Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Jimmy John's and Subway

It takes a whole lot to change this loyal foodie from one restaurant to another. I am one that relates faraway cities to the restaurants they have. Frequent trips result in frequent visits to the familiar, trusted venues. For example, on a recent 3 day trip to southern California I went to El Torito three times. If a Panda Express were nearby that would have seen more business, too.

So it's worth noting that I'm now sharing the love between Subway and Jimmy John's.
This took a long time to even get started. I passed JJs dozens of times and just noted the 'free smells' signs in the windows. I don't care for the black and red color scheme either. It reminds me of slackers with goatees and weak attempts at being hip. I guess what finally broke through was the 'extremely fast delivery' sign. I don't even remember the first occasion but I wandered into the Eastown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastown) location and am slowly getting hooked.

There are a few reasons. 1)I've grown tired of Subway. I've been eating it since they upgraded the breads and remember it before Jared Fogle who has been around too long. 2)I get tired of standing behind slow or indecisive people at Subway and also the back and forth with the sandwich artist. Too many questions and answers (bread, cheese, toppings, make that a meal, just one cookie?, etc... 3)Jimmy John's makes it simple a la hamburger joints. Just order the sandwich and customize it my holding certain toppings.
4)Quality, taste, and price are close enough.
5)Jimmy John's is FAST. They have more than one cashier to take orders. By the time you pay and stoop for the chips the sandwich is typically ready. What a concept!

If you're impatient, interested in straying from the usual food stops, and you like sub sandwiches, give Jimmy John's a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment