Tuesday, April 20, 2010

stuck in traffic


Over the last few weeks I have been in some monumental traffic jams. I still feel a little numb but I'm sure I'll come back for more.
First was Mexico City. I'd say this was the most difficult because it was the most time to cover the least distance and also had the worst air quality. The upside to Mexico City is that there's always something to look at. Worst drive - a 90 minute drive from the south of the city to the zoo in the center.
Seoond was Chicago. I arrived to the city on 94 west at 5 PM on Friday, admittedly not the best time. It took two hours to get from Comiskey Park (where the White Sox play) to the hotel near the airport. No upside to traffic in Chicago.
Finally now I am in Orange County. Today it took me over two hours to get from Burbank to Santa Ana, a distance of about 42 miles. I usually don't mind driving around So. Cal. because I try to pick off-peak times and there the highway can have up to 6 lanes and all the drivers are fast and alert like me. The upside to So. Cal. is the talk radio.
I'm not complaining. The first was part of a vacation and the latter two work-related. I don't have sympathy when people complain about traffic or when I see the periodic story in USA Today about long commutes. People choose to live and work in these cities and really no amount of incentives or urban planning will lessen the traffic. There are just too many people in too small of an area.

No comments:

Post a Comment